Tuesday, February 12, 2013

In Memory of Luc Gruenther

On January 28 during a training mission off the coast of Italy, Major Luc “Gaza” Gruenther’s F-16 fighter went down in bad weather.  His body was found several days later after a massive search by Italian and US personnel and assets. Luc leaves behind a wonderful wife, Cassy, who is expecting the birth of their first daughter, Serene, in the next couple of weeks. 

This has been a tragic and heart breaking event for our community here at Aviano. Cassy is a personal friend and incredible woman, and each one of us here has been truly touched by her and Luc. We have seen incredible support from the F16 community from every base, the Air Force and military communities in general, and family and friends located around the world. 

On Wednesday, February 6, Aviano hosted a memorial service on base to commemorate the life of Gaza. An avid outdoors man, dedicated husband and soon-to-be father, amazing pilot, and cherished friend, Gaza inspired all those that were blessed to meet him. Caleb and I are thankful to have known Gaza and will continue to pray for Cassy and baby Serene. We also praise God for such a loyal and strong community. The F16 community is small and spread across multiple continents, but it is a group of men and women dedicated to country and one another. We are truly blessed to call these people our military family.

Praise be to God, as Cassy went into labor on Thursday morning, February 7. Beautiful baby Serene entered the world early that morning, and as Cassy phrased it, "Luc's glorious light began to shine again." Both Mom and baby are doing great in this bittersweet time.

Please continue to pray for Cassy, Serene, the Gruenther family, and the men and women who knew and loved Gaza. This will continue to be difficult for all as we continue life with heavy hearts. If you are interested in donating to Serene's college fund or the Lucas Gruenther Memorial fund, please use the following site: http://www.lucasgruenther.com/node/1




"Praise You In This Storm"
By Casting Crowns

I was sure by now
God You would have reached down
And wiped our tears away
Stepped in and saved the day
But once again, I say "Amen", and it's still raining

As the thunder rolls
I barely hear Your whisper through the rain
"I'm with you"
And as Your mercy falls
I raise my hands and praise the God who gives
And takes away

[Chorus:]
And I'll praise You in this storm
And I will lift my hands
For You are who You are
No matter where I am
And every tear I've cried
You hold in Your hand
You never left my side
And though my heart is torn
I will praise You in this storm

I remember when
I stumbled in the wind
You heard my cry to you
And you raised me up again
My strength is almost gone
How can I carry on
If I can't find You

But as the thunder rolls
I barely hear You whisper through the rain
"I'm with you"
And as Your mercy falls
I raise my hands and praise the God who gives
And takes away

[Chorus]
And I'll praise You in this storm
And I will lift my hands
For You are who You are
No matter where I am
And every tear I've cried
You hold in Your hand
You never left my side
And though my heart is torn
I will praise You in this storm

No comments: